[A83] Re: chess engine

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: chess engine

> > I would absolutely love a AI chess engine that could make me
> think!
>
> well here are my AI engine ideas so far:
>
> computer makes mistakes to give beginner a chance + uses opening
> book
> computer attempts to adjust itself to the user's playing level +
> uses
>       opening book, but comes out of book if other side is doing
> poorly
> computer uses pre-existing settings for AI parameters + show
> thinking +
>       opening book
> computer uses an AI developed through evolution and automatic
>       code generation
> Attempt to match a player's style, either mathematically,
> evolutionary,
>       or refining engine parameters.

That sounds impressive!  An adaptive chess engine would be nice; most
people just give up if the computer whomps them once.  In case if you
didn't know, there is a series of articles about coding a chess engine on
gamedev.net.  They might help.

> The thing with winboard-style engines is that each engine would need
> function to generate (pseudo)legal moves, which would add to the
> amount of
> memory the program would require.  I think it's a good idea to have
> authors
> be able to write their own engines though.  I'll have to work out
> all the
> details of how to interface external engines, so maybe I'll study
> how
> winboard does it.  If the above engines that I plan to build in are
> good
> enough for you, maybe I won't consider external engines.

I am not entirely sure as to the internals of winboard.  When I mentioned
it, I was thinking of it as being a gui that supports user vs. user, user
vs. computer, and computer vs. computer.  I suppose that I see the AI as
the most difficult part to code.

> As for the possibility of a strong AI on 83,
> http://www.lokasoft.nl/uk/jchess/chessgame.htm gives a demonstration
> of a
> strong chess engine chugging away on a Java VM, which crushed me the
> first
> few times I played it even though it was set to 2 ply.  I asked the
> company
> for permission to use the source code (after glancing at their
> decompiled
> code and seeing how optimized it was) but they wouldn't let me.

I had it set on 10 sec. and it beet me too!  I would not say that it
crushed me; we had equal forces for most of the game.  I would be
thrilled to have an engine like that on my calc!

Matthew Marshall

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com