[A83] Re: html mail

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: html mail

In the interest of bandwith, I will reply to multiple messages at once.
Don't you guys consider sigs annoying and a waste of bandwidth?

> It's just a common convention as well as a common courtesy.

The key issue, I now realize, is server bandwidth.  I guess the common
coursety would then lie in keeping down the costs of running the server so
that the owners do not decide to pull it, although I could hardly see HTML
mail taking down a server.  The other aspects are of less importance, e.g.
user bandwidth, server space, user space.

Consider a 3KB file, 1.5KB of which consists of the mail header.  With HTML
mail making the message 4.5KB, we have effectively increased download time
by 0.375 seconds on a 56K modem.  Since you can read messages as they
download, don't pull the claim that it is 0.375 more seconds per message of
waiting time.

> I'm sure that a proxy server isn't the solution he is referring to.

So, does anyone have a better idea?  I refer to proxy server because there
once was a proxy server that decoded yenc files within my newsreader, but I
stopped using it.

Follow-Ups: References: