[A83] Re: Me so curious

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Me so curious

--- Peter-Martijn Kuipers <hyper@hbyte.net> wrote:

> Since nobody seens to answer your questions, I will
> try to ;-)
>

> > In the few months I've been assembly programming
> on my
> > TI-83+ SE, I have a few questions:
> >
> > 1. Detached Solutions says that the 83+ can only
> > execute out of certain memory areas. What are
> these
> > areas?
>
>   They've put it a little simply. I'll try to
> elaborate:
>
>   The TI-83+ has more memory than the chip can
> address, so
>   different pages of memory can be put into
> different cpu-addresses...
>   4000h - 7FFFh is usually the space flash-apps and
> flash memory pages
>   are mapped to
>   8000h - BFFFh is normally mapped to RAM-memory
> page 1
>   C000h - FFFFh is normally mapped to RAM-memory
> page 0
>
>   once an ASM program is about to be executed, it is
> shifted down to begin
>   at address 9d95h which is on page 1.
>
>   There is a hardware hack that resets the
> calculator once a program
>   executes on ram page 0.
>   this means that a program's executable area can't
> (without special
>   tricks) be larger than C000h - 9d95h , about 8.3
> kb if I remember
>   correctly.
In that case, more questions:
1. What if page 0 was mapped to 4000h? Would it run?
2. What if a flash page was mapped to C000h? Would it
run?
3. What is this special trick? Copying code from page
0 to page 1?
4. Why is the page starting at 8000h also mappable? Is
it used by ROM functions that access other FLASH pages
(ie _flashtoram)?

> > 2. If _flashtoram with a=0 really copies from ram
> > flash, how do you specify the page?
>
>   the 83+ SDK doesn't mention this feature, where
> did you get this
>   info?
The "Plasma" Ion-compatible shell says in its code:
;Undocumented function of flashtoram. If a=0 it copies
form Ram! Me like this:)
;Thank you joe f[lint] for discovering this.
However, it doesn't seem to use this function. I guess
I should be asking Joe Flint, or Brandon Engleberth
(the other author of Plasma). Does anyone know how to
directly write to Flash without going through the
TI-OS?

> > 3. Why is there no FlashApp shell for the TI-73?
> Or is
> > there and it's not on ticalc.org? (I had one a
> couple
> > years ago in school, which is why I'm asking.)
>
>   perhaps it's not a thing mostly needed, If I
> remember correctly,
>   the 73 can't normally execute assembly programs,
> just flash-apps
>   (or am I totally wrong here)
>   most shells provide extra functionality for
> asm-programs, unless they're
>   crap, so, it's probably not needed
What Jimmy Pardey said: The app executes assembly code
stored in a program.

> > 4. I can't remember :-) Ah well, I'll ask when I
> do.

=====
"The consequences of our actions are always so complicated,
so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult
business indeed." -Albus Dumbledore