[A83] Re: Me so curious

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: Me so curious

Since nobody seens to answer your questions, I will try to ;-)

> In the few months I've been assembly programming on my
> TI-83+ SE, I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Detached Solutions says that the 83+ can only
> execute out of certain memory areas. What are these
> areas?

  They've put it a little simply. I'll try to elaborate:

  The TI-83+ has more memory than the chip can address, so
  different pages of memory can be put into different cpu-addresses...
  4000h - 7FFFh is usually the space flash-apps and flash memory pages
  are mapped to
  8000h - BFFFh is normally mapped to RAM-memory page 1
  C000h - FFFFh is normally mapped to RAM-memory page 0

  once an ASM program is about to be executed, it is shifted down to begin
  at address 9d95h which is on page 1.

  There is a hardware hack that resets the calculator once a program
  executes on ram page 0.
  this means that a program's executable area can't (without special
  tricks) be larger than C000h - 9d95h , about 8.3 kb if I remember
  correctly.

> 2. If _flashtoram with a=0 really copies from ram to
> flash, how do you specify the page?

  the 83+ SDK doesn't mention this feature, where did you get this
  info?

> 3. Why is there no FlashApp shell for the TI-73? Or is
> there and it's not on ticalc.org? (I had one a couple
> years ago in school, which is why I'm asking.)

  perhaps it's not a thing mostly needed, If I remember correctly,
  the 73 can't normally execute assembly programs, just flash-apps
  (or am I totally wrong here)
  most shells provide extra functionality for asm-programs, unless they're
  crap, so, it's probably not needed