[A83] Re: TI-83+ Silver Edition = Gameboy

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: TI-83+ Silver Edition = Gameboy

> With the advent of the TI-83 Plus silver, could someone write a gameboy
> emulator for it?  Look what the 83+ could do:
>
> (I am assuming the gameboy has a z80 chip in it)

It has a CPU similiar to the z80.  There are a few added instructions, and a
lot of them removed.

> Advantages:
>
> -83+ silver has room for one 8-megabit game, two 4-megabit games, or eight
> 1-megabit games!

Memory is layed out very differently.  You'd have to emulate the different
mapper hardware.

> -83+ silver will be much faster (than 83+) , allowing for easier
emulation.

Emulating all of the hardware would still be very hard.  Even on a palm
pilot with a 16mhz dragonball cpu (basically a motorola 68000), it doesn't
run nearly full speed.  Not even half on most games.  The calc would be way
too slow.

> Disadvantages:
>
> -You'd have to choose between link emulation (?) and sound emulation.

You couldn't emulate sound.  There isn't nearly enough time for that, and
even if you did, it would sound terrible (see this demonstrated on the palm
pilot version).  The gameboy link port is about as flakey as the calc's.
There'd be almost no hope in getting this to work, even if that is all you
were emulating (i.e. no graphics).

> -Graphics would have to be distorted/crushed/reduced in order to fit on
the
> 83+ screen.

160x144 down to 96x64, with no grayscale.  That alone makes doing something
like this pointless.

> Anyone know if this is a possibility?  Or is the 24K of ram not enough?

The gameboy has more ram than that, and the addressing is very different.
No, it would not be possible.

Follow-Ups: References: