[A83] Re: TI-83+ Silver Edition = Gameboy

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: TI-83+ Silver Edition = Gameboy

There is a fundamental problem in your basic assumption -- the gameboy is NOT
a z80 chip.  It's similar, but has many instructions missing (ldir, cpir,
ix/iy, shadow registers, etc) and many new instructions as well (ldi a,(hl),
swap a, etc).  Thus emulation would be a huge pain since the cpu would
actually have to be emulated as well.

In a message dated 2/24/01 2:56:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gardenerbm@netzero.net writes:

> With the advent of the TI-83 Plus silver, could someone write a gameboy
> emulator for it?  Look what the 83+ could do:
>
> (I am assuming the gameboy has a z80 chip in it)
>
> Advantages:
>
> -83+ silver has room for one 8-megabit game, two 4-megabit games, or eight
> 1-megabit games!
> -83+ silver will be much faster (than 83+) , allowing for easier emulation.
>
> Disadvantages:
>
> -You'd have to choose between link emulation (?) and sound emulation.
> -Graphics would have to be distorted/crushed/reduced in order to fit on the
> 83+ screen.
>
> Anyone know if this is a possibility?  Or is the 24K of ram not enough?

----
Jonah Cohen
<ComAsYuAre@aol.com>
http://jonah.ticalc.org