[A83] Re: Grey scale(and enterlacing, is that the right wordfor it?)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Cheiz wrote:

> > Optimizing it heavily will make you able to do 4 level and even 8 level if
> > you have brand new batteries.
>
> Hmmm I don't think so.... I told u about my 130 FPS routine.... it used 44
> clockticks between LCD out's (faster not possible). That means if u make it
> 8 level u need a lot of different buffers, that's a lot of graph mem, and
> the FPS is then 130/7=18.5 I don't think that'll be nice smooth
> grayscale....

I suggest you read this mail.
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/mail/assembly-83/2001_December/msg00511.html

You're right about the classic way of doing grey scale. Swapping different
layers doesn't work. I proposed a totally different technique: bit-level
interlacing. Each byte outputted to the lcd consists of all buffers. I
have done 8-level grey scale too (people on this list can confirm that),
but as said, it only works with brand new batteries at contrast level
0,1,2. With lower batteries you see the interlacing effect.