Re: A83: Re: Zelda: Test of Courage

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Re: Zelda: Test of Courage

----- Original Message -----
From: <AutismUK@aol.com>
To: <assembly-83@lists.ticalc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2000 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: A83: Re: Zelda: Test of Courage

evil_sam@hotmail.com
> writes:
>
> <<   I saw your question on the VP Message board as well, but I'm not
really
>  sure what answer you're looking for. Do you want a brief summation of how
>  the tile-map system works? Not sure what you mean by "hard-coded"
either...

> Well, if you are developing an RPG engine there are various ways of doing
> it. I was just interested in how yours worked  I am working on an (about
> 60-70% complete) ARPG engine which doesn't produce games as complex
> as Zelda but doesn't require any programming so I was just interested in
> how the game functioned]
>
> I saw your reply on the board too. I gather from this that there are tiles
in
> each map area which call code written in Z80 assembler, presumably you
> have some class system here with your tile type and parameters in the
> maps (e.g. there is one type of "sign" and the text is a parameter) ?

> By hard coded I mean that the game events are written in machine code or
> HLL and part of the engine, as opposed to an engine which is an
interpreter
> for a purpose designed scripting language (with or without maps), or a
simple
> data driven engine (like mine).

Doesn't everyone else hardcode their assembly games in this manner?  Im not
sure what you are talking about.  Are you asking if we are using a map
editor?

We plan to have a map editor... if I ever get around to "hacking" one out.

> I did consider a scripting design but abandoned it on the grounds that it
> would
> be  too difficult to do ARPG design without being a programmer (an aim of
my
> engine). I wanted a point-and-click designer for it :)

My thoughts exactly... Wouldn't an interpreter for a Click-and-Play to ASM
converter be more difficult than writing the actual game in asm.

-harper

Follow-Ups: References: