Re: A83: Re: Zelda: Test of Courage

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Re: Zelda: Test of Courage

In a message dated 22/03/00 13:39:42 GMT Standard Time, evil_sam@hotmail.com
writes:

<<   I saw your question on the VP Message board as well, but I'm not really
 sure what answer you're looking for. Do you want a brief summation of how
 the tile-map system works? Not sure what you mean by "hard-coded" either...

Well, if you are developing an RPG engine there are various ways of doing
it. I was just interested in how yours worked  I am working on an (about
60-70% complete) ARPG engine which doesn't produce games as complex
as Zelda but doesn't require any programming so I was just interested in
how the game functioned]

I saw your reply on the board too. I gather from this that there are tiles in
each map area which call code written in Z80 assembler, presumably you
have some class system here with your tile type and parameters in the
maps (e.g. there is one type of "sign" and the text is a parameter) ?

By hard coded I mean that the game events are written in machine code or
HLL and part of the engine, as opposed to an engine which is an interpreter
for a purpose designed scripting language (with or without maps), or a simple
data driven engine (like mine).

I did consider a scripting design but abandoned it on the grounds that it
would
be  too difficult to do ARPG design without being a programmer (an aim of my
engine). I wanted a point-and-click designer for it :)