Re: A83: Re: 83 and 83+ ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Re: 83 and 83+ ASM

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, David Phillips wrote:

> TI completely changed the way that the ROM is structured in the 83+
> (obviously).  ROM calls are accessed through a RST instruction, though it's
> clever, and still only takes up 3 bytes.  This is quite different than using
> a table, as on the 83/86.  Recompiling (or reassembling) requires having the
> source code and using a different set of equates and possibly macros
> (depending on how powerful the assembler is that everyone uses for ION).

On this note, does anyone know the locations of some 83+ ROM calls?  I
only know 3, home cursor, display char, and get key... and although these
are all I need for a simple program, I'd like to have more, if I could...
or, since I have the 1.12 ROM source, does anyone know where the romcalls
are located?  If so, I could search through and find them myself.

Also, do the ports work the same on 82 and 83/83+?  I know that 10 is
still the display control port, and I figured it's the same component, so
at least the display would have the same controls... but how about the
keyboard, say?

And as a third question, how was 83 ASM changed when they upgraded to the
new case?  A friend has one and is disappointed that the old games don't
work.

> > > 83 and 83+ are essentially the same, as long as you're not talking apps.
> > > It's just a matter of recompiling.  Apps are different, because it's in
> rom,
> > > so no self modify code.

> > Really, they're the same?  Then why can't you run an 83 ASM program on an
> > 83+?  What's involved in "recompiling"?

     Daniel Church      |  "War doesn't determine who is right-
     ___---^---___      |   only who is left."
    dchurch@mbhs.edu    |  -anonymous

Follow-Ups: References: