Re: A83: Re: Square root of 0, OT

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Re: Square root of 0, OT

Division: The quota is the number which, when multiplied with the denominator,
yields the numerator.
Thus 8/4=2 since 2 * 4 = 8.
8/0 = undefined, since nothing times 0 would actually yield 8.
0/0 = undefined, since _anything_ times 0 would yield 0, so the answer could
be anything.

Principal square root: The positive number that, when multiplied by itself,
yields the number inside the root sign.
Thus sqrt(16) = 4, since 4*4=16 and (-4)*(-4)=16, but only use the positive
number.
sqrt(-1) = i, since i*i=-1 (per definition) and (-i)*(-i)=-1, but only use the
positive number.
sqrt(0) = 0, since 0*0=0. This is the _only_ number that gives 0 when squared.

So I really can't see what's the problem?

Linus