[A82] Re: game graphics compression

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A82] Re: game graphics compression

I don't know how it performs on a large scale map, but I made a RLE based
algorithm yesterday that allowed me to stuff a 8x20 tilemap into 6 bytes.
I think metroid would favor a RLE based algorithm, since there is alot of
blank space in the middle of the map.  Many times a row on the screen just
takes up 2 bytes.
Here is how my algorithm works:

map:
  .db <tileID>,<x numTiles>              ; way ONE - signifies that the
next X tiles are of type tileID
  .db <tileID, bit 7 set>                        ; way TWO - draw only one
tile of tileID
  .db <tileID, bit 6 set>,<numTiles>     ; way THREE - draw X total tiles,
consisting of the tile at tileID, and the next tile
                                         ;   essentialy repeats a 8x16 tile
x/2 times

i can send you the 8x8 tile implementation if anyone is interested.

-harper

ps. this tilemap routine is for a "secret" project, which is an old
nintendo game.