Re: A82: Porting (85)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Porting (85)

ilya winham wrote:

> Now that I (and many others) have gotten fairly good at porting 83->82,
> movement to porting 85->82 should be studied. So, what are some
> techniques and tips I should know to successfully port 85->82 games. How
> can the screen size difference be solved? What other things must I know?
> There are MANY great 85asm games that would rock if they were on the 82.
> --

Yes of course. There are a lot a good games for the TI-85. But the
screen size is different [not really a problem]. But the main
difference, as you probably know, is that the TI-85 has a memory mapped
display. So it's very fast, contrary to the TI-82, which has a port. We
have for example Solytare which Michael Pearce, for having a fast enough
cursor on the screen, had to move it 2 pixels a time. As you have
noticed, it isn't excellent, although I think this game is excellent in
general. So in translating 85 to 82 programs, we'd have to increase the
speed somewhere. Not that easy. Another idea should be to build a turbo,
but is every owner of a TI-82 able to do that ? Not sure. Has someone
another solution ?

~Nicolas.