Re: A82: Compressing Data?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Compressing Data?

The easiest way to compress data is RLE, and when it is used on pics or
other kinds of non-random data it gives fairly good compression. On the 85
several methods has been used, and you should be able to find info on most
of them on ticalc.

The first algorithme for RLE encoding of data on the 85 was (as far as I
know) made by me :), and it has been used in a few games. The advantages
of it is that it gives you fairly good compression, and it is really easy
to implement. Someone released a TI85 poker game which used it for all
pics, and the source can be found on www.ticalc.

Another method for compressing data is ZCP made by Stephan Jantzen, it is
a bit more complex and therefore it will normally give better compression.
The source for a decoder can be found on www.ticalc.org.

I have mentioned these algorithmes on A82 before, and i also mentioned how
they work so have a look at the archieves if you are interested.

Dines

Dines Justesen
Email: dines@post1.com or
       c958362@student.dtu.dk