Re: A82: Game Wizard crashes under Same Game...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 08:08 PM 9/18/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> Game Wizard v2.0 will crash when running Same Game if you do the following:
>>
>>  1) Turn on the calc and run the shell.
>>  2) Run Same Game.
>>  3) Run Game Wizard v2.0.
>>
>>  Same Game messes with volatile areas of RAM.  Wait until v1.1 or greater
>>  comes out before attempting to use Game Wizard v2.0 with it.  Doing the
>>  following will decrease the chance of a crash by 80%:
>>
>>  1) Turn on the calc and run the shell.
>>  2) Run Game Wizard v2.0.
>>  3) Run Same Game.
>>  4) Deactivate Game Wizard immediately and do NOT re-enable it.
>>  5) Exit the shell and "power-down"
>>  6) It is safe now to turn the calc back on and re-load Game Wizard.
>>
>>  What happens:
>>  When the calc is turned on, the RAM is set to its original conditions.
>>  Since, Same Game changes the volatile parts of RAM, this is the safest
>>  method of allowing you to use Game Wizard in conjunction with Same Game.
>>  Without resetting the changed RAM, any game can be affected including Game
>>  Wizard.  Since Game Wizard latches onto an interrupt, it will crash more
>>  often than games because it uses highly volatile areas of RAM that can be
>>  changed instantly.
>>
>WHAT?!?!?!
>what the heck are you talking about?  The only RAM areas that SameGame uses
>are TEXT_MEM and TEXT_MEM2
>please explain this to me
>
>~Adamman

Wrong!  Same Game uses areas OUTSIDE the TEXT_MEM and TEXT_MEM2 memory
locations.  BOTH TEXT_MEMs are only 80 bytes each.  You leave these
limitations by adding a number greater than 79 to any of your variables.
When you do that, you hit volatile areas of RAM that causes Game Wizard to
crash.  I know the TEXT_MEMs are pretty far off from the APD buffer, but
Game Wizard can be messed with indirectly by leaving the boundaries of the
buffers.  Also, make sure you correct the ROM_CALL(GET_KEY) (at about line
1077 where you enter initials) by v1.1.

BTW, I already explained this in another e-mail on the same subject.  Do
you ever check your e-mail?

Hope I could be of help.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org