Re: A82: Error/Bug in Same Game! please fix it ASAP.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Error/Bug in Same Game! please fix it ASAP.

<snipped>

> Okay, I think I've pin-pointed TWO problems.  After taking a look at the
>  source (available at ticalc.org), I realized that the bug is the locations
>  in memory it uses for the temporary variables.  There are only 80 bytes to
>  each of the TEXT_MEM buffers (not 130 like the author thinks there is).
>  The author goes past BOTH limits and most likely overwrites vital data in
>  RAM.  This could explain the frequent crashes I've been experiencing with
>  Game Wizard v2.0.  Game Wizard works if I load it before I run Same Game,
>  but it crashes if I attempt to load it after I've played Same Game even
once.

>  About the ROM v19.0 problem, at line 1077 in the author's source, it uses
>  ROM_CALL(GET_KEY) instead of call GET_KEY.  Since GET_KEY is at the same
>  place in ALL ROM versions, this is your problem.  On ROM v19.0, all
>  ROM_CALLs have $1A added to the input address.  In this case, GET_KEY will
>  only work with v16.0, v17.0, and v18.0.
>
>  Hope this helps you out.
>
>                   Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
>  Shining Light Productions -- "Meeting the needs of fellow programmers"
>           http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8504
>                      http://shinelight.home.ml.org

whoops :-) I have a nasty habit of doing that
about the TEXT_MEM and TEXT_MEM2:
CAN YOU MULTIPLY???  8*16=128 PLENTY of room for the 111 or so bytes of it I
use. as for TEXT_MEM2, I only use 99 bytes of it
The only reason it crashes is because of the ROM_CALL(GET_KEY) thing
and if you bothered to get the game, the source is included

~Adamman