Re: A82: Error/Bug in Same Game! please fix it ASAP.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 06:05 PM 9/17/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Creasy wrote:
>>
>> ilya winham wrote:

>> > Thats what I tried!! I pressed every button! nothing happens! Up, down,
>> > enter, clear --nothing. Do I have a bad version or something? I got it
>> > off ticalc.org!
>> I Tryied it too!  I have Rom Version 19, could it be the rom version?
>Maybe. I have 19.0 too!

Okay, I think I've pin-pointed TWO problems.  After taking a look at the
source (available at ticalc.org), I realized that the bug is the locations
in memory it uses for the temporary variables.  There are only 80 bytes to
each of the TEXT_MEM buffers (not 130 like the author thinks there is).
The author goes past BOTH limits and most likely overwrites vital data in
RAM.  This could explain the frequent crashes I've been experiencing with
Game Wizard v2.0.  Game Wizard works if I load it before I run Same Game,
but it crashes if I attempt to load it after I've played Same Game even once.

About the ROM v19.0 problem, at line 1077 in the author's source, it uses a
ROM_CALL(GET_KEY) instead of call GET_KEY.  Since GET_KEY is at the same
place in ALL ROM versions, this is your problem.  On ROM v19.0, all
ROM_CALLs have $1A added to the input address.  In this case, GET_KEY will
only work with v16.0, v17.0, and v18.0.

Hope this helps you out.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org