A82: Re: The new, REAL OS

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: Re: The new, REAL OS

>-As for shells so far, impressive, but I have not seen any yet that are
TRULY
>expandable.  Patching, etc.

There are a lot of features which could be nice to have on the calc, but you
have to remeber that the calc only has 32kb of RAM. I do however agree, that
some features needs to be added to the shells, and as most people will now
by know i am working on a shell which includes these things.

>-Furthermore, I believe that techniques should be made available concerning
>asm programming directly on the TI.  It is a pain to program on the
Computer,
>convert, transfer, etc.

A simpel Z80 assembler will take up app 4 kb of mem, which is not a lot if
the program was really useful, and the editor is allready build into the
calc. The problem with this idea is that every time you calc crashed you
would loss ALL you work, and you would need a link to get your calc working
again. All the programmers i know of crash their calcs once in a while, and
since they would loose all their work if they used this method, development
would probably take longer time. Besides that you have to remember that
typing all the commands on the TI82 will take forever because it does not
have a qwerty keyboard. This is no new idea, it has been discussed many
times before, and every time people have agreed that it is not a good idea.
However if anyone feels that it is useful, a Z80 assembler (written in Z80
assembly for some old computer) can be found on the web (i do not have the
URL), it takes up 4kb. Personally i find that a ti82 c compiler would be a
lot more useful.

>-Someone needs to make a real, all out editor (write also) that people can
>use to (forgive me) HACK their own calcs.  Since they don't care about the
>calc aspect of it, why not let them stay up late at night, making their own
>progs???

I do not really see the point of your editor. If you want to do all the
hacking yourself, you can not have any shell on the calc and only one
program at a time. I might just have miss understoud what you are
suggesting, can you be more specific ?

Dines