Re: A82: ASH questions

(See answers below)

_______________________________________

Dines Justesen
Email: dines@post1.com or
       c958362@student.dtu.dk
WWW  : http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c958362/
_______________________________________

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> HELP!  Re-writing Game Wizard (actually its just translating it to the 82
> but feels like I'm re-writing everything) for ASH v3.0 is a pain in the
> neck.  Right now, I need some inside info. on ASH and it seems that Dines
> Justesen is on vacation or something.

Normally writing programs for Ash 3.0 is easier than for other versions of
Ash, and i had no problems at all rewriting my interrupt rutines. Ofcorse
yours might be different and that could course the problem, but it seems
strange.
(I have not been on any type of vacation, but i have been workin too much
on the TI82 lataly and got a bit tired of it. That is why it has taken my
so long to answer my emails.)

> Here are my questions that need to be answered about ASH.  If any other
> shell is similar to ASH v3.0, you could be of great help to me.
>
> 1) Does ASH EVER use the APD buffer (besides an actual APD)?
I have made sure that Ash does not store any data which the programmer
needs to preserve in any other place than inside the program. So your
program can use GRAPH_MEM, TEXT_MEM, allOPs ...
> 2) If I create an interrupt table in the APD, starting at $8300, where
> should it end ($8401 or $8402)?
$8401 (The interrupt table is always 257 bytes long, if you have problems
with it look at the code i published)
> 3) How, and where, does ASH move programs once they finish running?

Ash uses the same ype of relocation as PhatOS (called Simpel Relocation),
this means that the program is moved to START_ADDR and the information at
START_ADDR is placed where the program was.
> So far, I've got all of my interrupt routine confined to the APD buffer
> (different from Game Wizard v1.0 which uses the Graph_Mem and the APD).  A
> really weird thing is that I can load Game Wizard, exit to ASH, but when I
> press the [ON]+[.] keys it sometimes crashes.  This only happened once, but
> it still is strange.  I'm trying to get Game Wizard to work with Spaze
> Invaders, but it crashes every time I run it...maybe it uses the APD for
> some variables.  TIA for any suggestions you may have.
The APD buffer is not a very good place to store you interrupt table,
every time a APD occurs the current display contence is copied there and
would destroy you program. (When the ON keys is pressed in Ash it actually
means that the calc does an APD).

Dines

>                  Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
> Shining Light Productions -- "Meeting the needs of fellow programmers"
>          http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8504
>                     http://shinelight.home.ml.org

Follow-Ups: References: