[TI-M] Re: questions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TI-M] Re: questions

ZoomFit adjusts yMin and yMax so that you can see the complete graph along a
given x-interval (determined by xMin and xMax).  Other than that...you could
try tracing the graph and pressing enter to center the window on that portion
of the graph.

To graph conics (such as x^2 + y^2 = 7*y + 3), solve for y (use the solve
function, I suggest) and replace +/- with {1,-1}.  Alternatively, you could
graph the resulting expressions for y separately.  For this particular
equation, y = (+/-sqrt(61-4*x^2)+7)/2, so enter (in the y= editor) y1(x) =
({1,-1}*sqrt(61-4*x^2)+7)/2.

For other implicitly defined functions, the manual explains how you can use
3D graphing mode to graph an implicit function (I think you set to Contour
Lines and set phi = pi/2, or soemthing like that...).  Page through it until
you see a graph that looks like a fence.

For 5*x + cos(x) = 0, there is only one (real) solution for x; x = -.196164.
I think the AMS software usually does a good job at finding most solutions of
equations like this, although I haven't used it much for that purpose.  As
far as getting a decimal, I don't think equations like that have algebraic
solutions...

Use the Var-Link menu to see what's in your calculator.  Even though that's
built-in, I suggest downloading TICT-Explorer (I'm not sure if it's available
specifically for the TI-92+...).

- JayEll