Re: TI-M: Discrete Math

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-M: Discrete Math

At 14:52 2000-05-15 +0200, you wrote:
 >Discrete math, as the name implies, is the study of discrete (particular
 >or specific) problems that can be solved through mathematics.  It focuses
 >on practical applications and tailors the mathematics to them opposed to
 >the standard approach in mathematics to generalize everything and focus on
 >the theoretical...

Never seen that definition before... The book we had (Biggs, "Discrete
Mathematics")
defines it as "Discrete mathematics deals with calculations involving a
finite number
of steps rather than limiting processes". Topics in the books include
integers (ordering,
induction, etc), functions & counting "the pigionhole principle",
principles of counting ,
subsets, partition, permutations, modular arithmetic, plus my personal
favourite
topic: Graphs and algorithms.
--
Jimmy Mårdell                 "How should I know if it works? That's
mailto:yarin@acc.umu.se        what beta testers are for. I only coded it."