Re: TI-M: Algebra

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-M: Algebra

>I know of no way to "exact" the decimal equivalent of an irrational number,
>and I doubt there is one.

There is a way...here is a basic program that will do the trick...the only
problem is that its basic and therefore rather slow.  It is in ti-86 basic

input a
if fpart(a^2)=0              ;stops loop from happening if the number
                              is already an exact square root
goto display
for b,1,1E99                 ;start loop
if fpart((a*b)^2)=0          ;test for exact square root
goto display                 ;get out of loop if there is and exact sqrt
                              (duh)
end                          ;start loop over
lbl display
disp (a*b)^2                 ;the sqrt of this number
disp "-------"               ;over
disp b                       ;this number equals a

this routine does work for any number that has an exact radical value.  all
you would have to do is add the ability for it to strip off integers added
to it.  then you would have to simplify the result, both of which i have
done in one of my programs, but i don't have it and all this is for is to
prove it can be odne.  by the way, this routine is very slow in basic, and
it can be vastly improved, however i don't have the time or the desire to
improve it.  It could be much faster...i know that.  When i get my ti-86
back, i will post the good version of it. i made one that only takes half a
second...this one would take several seconds to solve a tough number.  it
would fly in assembly.  any ideas off this one, let me know...