[TI-H] Re: Connecting a gps tracking mouse to the Ti-89

[Next][Index][Thread]

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Mark Blome wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> some days ago I read an article about the way one can connect a simple gps-receiver to a pda via the serial port. I thought: this should be possible with the Ti-89 as well!
> As I am a novice either in Ti89 hardware as well as in its assembly programing, I am not sure if Ti-89s hardware in generell is cabable of receiving gps-data via its link cable! For example: the gps serial port will send the data with 4800 bits per sec. Is there a way to tell the Ti-89 to receive data with a specific transfer rate? Is there a kind of a time counter in the calculator (eg for speed calculations etc.)?

AFAIK, there is no battery-independent timer in the Ti-series (otherwise I
would have expected Ti to use it for their clock in AMS 2.08)
You can either write a serial-routine that has to be calibrated every time
it is run or you can build a small interface with a little uC that converts
serial to Ti-Protocol.
A friend of mine has done both for Ti82/83, first the serial-routine, then
he discovered it would be too much work for the Ti and switched over to a
simple protocol and a uC-Interface.