[TI-H] Re: TiDrive (Was PIXpander & Stuff)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Saturday, April 27, 2002, at 07:07 PM, Tim Comport wrote:

> If anybody is interested, I have a working expander which utilizes any 2
> pin (data and clock) serial eeprom. Although I am currently using a
> BASIC Stamp 2 (which is rather expensive for such a project), I am
> currently learning assembly for the PIC so I can use one of these
> instead. I will soon post my plans on my website at
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/thetechplace (early details are already
> there)

Woo, YAEE (Yet Another EEPROM Expander).

This is good news, as current development is always welcome. When you
get to the assembly stage, I am willing to help out with a protocol spec
for dealing with the memory chip in blocks so that a TI-based object
manager can utilize a basic filesystem on the expander, as well as other
expanders using the same protocol.

One of the reasons why the interest around the PSX Expander came about
is that it is modular, and unlike an EEPROM, you have a supposedly
unlimited number of writes on SRAM-based memory cards (They don't need
power to keep data, but it does degrade over a period of about 3+ months
IIRC). Plus with the ability to store things on multiple cards and
multipage cards, I can easily carry around a couple MBs of data for any
calc in my pocket.

Still, good luck on your project, since it might offer an alternative
for someone not wanting an Expander2, but not wanting a PSX-based
expander either.

Follow-Ups: References: