[TI-H] Re: TI Networking.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TI-H] Re: TI Networking.

At 23:47 2001-05-02, you wrote:
>Is there any reason not to fill the address space from the bottom?
>
>Every time a calc makes its initial connection, it waits for a full cycle
>to pass, then uses the largest address+1.  When it's calc 0's turn, it
>waits slightly longer before sending to give any newly connected calc a
>chance to transmit.

how do you know how many calcs are on the net? how do a calc know its the last.
if you start from the end or the beginning has no difference as all.
I thought of a scheme where the next calc sensed that a packet was
completly send, it starts to send, if it doesn't have anything to sen it
sends a short (1 or 2 bytes) "I have nothing to send"-message, and then the
next sends and so on.
Still has this problem of knowing who is the last calc that makes it a bit
strange...
could just be that if there hasn't been any traffic for a while, then it
starts from the beginnning..
hmm.. I realized this is pretty much exactly what you are suggesting...
I don't think fixed time-intervalls else then the
"wait-to-se-if-more-sends"-delay, better to send packets as soon as
possible, as fast as the previous calc has send its packet.
This is pretty damn close to token ring, except shared medium...

If we found a good way to encode bits on a single line, you could connect
the calcs as a ring too...
would probably waste half the bandwith though, since most 1-line protocols
I have seen needs two transitions per bit.

///Olle
I'm sorry if I repeted too much.. should get some sleep now.

Follow-Ups: References: