Re: TI-H: Broken 83

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Broken 83

i have done repair of water damaged equipment before and this is the
procedure i use.

the first thing to do is to remove the pcb from the case and soak it in
^ distilled ^ water mixed with 25% alcohol. (to break the surface
tension of the water) next, flush it with distilled water and 40%
alcohol.  a wash bottle works good for this.  let it dry for 2 days then
power it up.

if it still does not work check the membrane keypad.  try a pencil
eraser carefully on the trace. (use a pencil that has a red eraser these
work better IMHO) the next thing if that does not work, is to look at
the keypad it self. these are hard to fix because the conductive surface
is easily by salt water.  try bending a very small piece of copper wire
in the form of a staple and pushing it into the bottom of the key. that
should fix the key

also QST (a magazine for the radio amateur) awhile back published an
article on repairing water damaged radios.  i will search my archives
here if you would like to take a look at it.  just let me know where to
send the copy.

Andrew Hivner wrote:

> Here's a question,
>
> I just received an 83 with some water damage.  At first it wouldn't turn on,
> but I opened it up and fixed that somehow. :)  However, now other things
> don't function properly.  I'll make a list:
> 1. Link Port (Error in xmit occurs)
> 2. Various buttons:  STO> button, tan button, and ^ button (no response when
> pressed)
> 3. one row of pixels
> I would like to know if any of you have any ideas on how to fix these
> problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew Hivner

Follow-Ups: References: