Re: TI-H: *What is the clock speed of the 89?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: *What is the clock speed of the 89?

You were wondering how to accelerate your TI-89, well here's the site that
tells you all about it. It is....

http://www.stud.ee.ethz.ch/~blutz/TI89Spec/TIAccelerate.html

I have copied and pasted all the text from that page just in case.

Check out the homepage ( http://www.stud.ee.ethz.ch/~blutz/ ), and it gives
you all sorts of other cool stuff aswell!

Simon.

The text.........

Accelerate the TI-89 (HW Version I & II)
© by: Boris Lutz (blutz@ee.ethz.ch)

You are visitor number 40746 of the accelerator pages!

Material Needed:
Pencil soldering iron (max 30W)

22pF capacitor

Small screwdriver

Optional:
Variable capacitor

Small fine wires

Introduction:
The procedure below descibes how to accelerate your TI-89 HardWare Version I
for HardWare Version II you have to replace C4 instead of C10 and you have
to consider that the layout looks diffrent.
I will provide some picture of HW II as soon as possible (have to develop
and scan them first).
To find out which version you have go to the main screen and press F1 and
then select "About..." the first line is either: "TI-89" for HW I or "TI-89
Hardware Version 2.00" for HW II

I replaced the capacitor C10 (47pF) which is responsible for the speed with
a smaller one (22pF). This makes the TI up to two times faster!!
The best method to be able to change the speed is to use a variable
capacitor. You would be able to change the speed continuously and play
Assembler games at a reasonable speed.
I accept no responsibility for this procedure and any damage that it might
cause, but if you follow my guidelines it works perfectly!
Don't use a capacitor with a capacitance below 20pF, this won't be stable!
If the output is scrambled try out a larger capacitor e.g: 27pF
The procedure described on this page is for the TI-89, the procedure for the
TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-85, TI-86 and TI-92 you can find here.

Power Consumption:
The accelerated version of the TI-89 needs a little bit more power than a
regular TI-89. In idle mode (that's calculator turned on but no calculation
in progress) it consumes 5mA no matter if it's accelerated or not. In busy
mode (some calculation or drawing is in progress) it consumes about 30mA if
it is accelerated and about 22mA if it's not accelerated.
As you can see the average power consumption is not affected too much since
the calculator will be in idle mode most of the time unless you do play
games in this case you will have a power consumption which is about 30%
higher

Opening the TI-89:
First make a backup then remove all batteries. There are seven screws which
need to be removed. Two right below the battery cover, 2 above it, two at
the top and one that holds in the backup battery. Once the screws are
removed, you have to take off the bottom part of the case.
To do this, first use the small regular screwdriver to pop the bottom corner
up. Then take the battery cover and slide it along the side of the
calculator. It will force the sides to pop open.

            Enter-Key                        F-Keys

          |------>---->---->---->---->---->---->---
          |     \                             /
          |______\___________________________/_____
                  \                         /
                   \                       /
                 Open here          slide until here      (on both sides)
Where is C10:
After opening the TI, you'll see a silver shield covering the TI's circuit
board. Remove the two small screws at the bottom of the shield.
C10 is on the right side of U5 if the the display is at the top.

                   +-----------------------------------+
                   |                                   |   C
This plan shows    |                                   |   1
an enlargement     |                                   |   0
of the part of     |                                   |
the TI-89 board    |                                   |   R
around C10.        |                                   |   1
                   |                U5                 |   2
                   |                                   |
                   |                                   |   R
                   |                                   |   1
                   |                                   |   1
                   |                                   |
                   |                                   |   C
                   |                                   |   9
                   +-----------------------------------+

Modifying the board:
First desolder C10 from the board. Be careful: Do not overheat any part!!
Now you put the 22pF capacitor where the old C10 used to be.
Some TIs might work with a capacitor below 22pF, however this won't work on
all TI-89s and is surely not as stable as a 22pF.
That's it, put back the shield (be sure, that it's position is properly
adjusted), fasten the black plastic cover with the screws and put back the
batteries (the four AAA batteries and the backup battery).

Just removing C10, like described on my TI-85 acceleration page is not
recommended! Why: Just removing (without putting in a new capacitor) the
capacitor will cause the TI-89 to freeze. (you have to reset it).

Implementing a switch is possible. To do this, you have to use a 39pF
capacitor connected in series with the original capacitor and the switch
over the 39pF capacitor (when the switch is closed the 39pF capacitor is
short circuited). Note: if you want to implement a switch you will have to
use a 39pF capacitor not a 22pF!
When the switch is closed the 39pF capacitor is bypassed and you have the
original capacity. If the switch is open you have a capacity of 1/(1/39 +
1/47) = 22pF

The easiest way is to just replace the original 47pF capacitor with a 22pF
(maybe a bit lower or higher) capacitor.

The best possibility is to use a variable capacitor with a range from about
18 (not lower) to 50pf. With a variable capacitor you would be able to
adjust the speed continuously.

How to desolder C10:
You must have some experience in soldering, to do this! This is the way how
I do it: Take a small screwdriver (like the one to open the calculator).
Heat up one side of C10 (not longer than one second), quickly change to the
other side and heat it up, change back and so on while you are carefully
trying to push away C10 with the screwdriver. DON'T push too hard and DON'T
heat up C10 too long!
If you push too hard you might destroy the solder pads! However there is a
way to connect the capacitor even if the pads are destroyed but it's much
more difficult.

How to solder the 22pF capacitor to the board:
The original capacitor is a SMD (surface mounted device) they are rather
small and more difficult to get, but you can use any 22pF ceramic capacitor,
which is small enough to fit in. If you get a regular ceramic capacitor it
should look like the picture below (not that big, it should be about 1/6 x
1/6 inch large).
Note: It is possible that your capacitor looks different, the most important
thing is that it is labled 22pF!

To solder it directly to the board, proceed like this (see ASCII pictures
below): Cut the two wires from the capacitor after about 1/4 of an inch and
bend them about 1/8 of an inch away from the capacitor (but be careful not
to damage the capacitor). Now you can solder the two ends to the board.

(top view)

     +---+
0----|   |
     |   |
0----|   |
     +---+

(side view)

    +---+
+---|   |
|   +---+

How to implement a switch:
Resolder the bottom side of C10 to the top pad (where C10 was connected
before) leaving the bottom pad open. Now, solder two about 1.5 inches long
wires to your switch. It really doesn't matter which terminals you use. Now,
solder the 39pF cap to both terminals on the switch where the wires touch.
Solder one of the wires to the top of C10 (the part of C10 that hasn't been
soldered to the board). Solder the other wire to the pad where the bottom of
C10 used to be. Tape the wires down using lack electrical tape. Just use
small pieces of tape. Try not to cover any components on the board.
Especially not the connections of the backup battery!
Make sure that all your wires are as short as possible otherwise your
calculator won't be as fast as it could be.

   ===========
   |         |
   0--       |
\    |       |
\ 39pF      0
  \  |
   0--          <--- Location, where the old C10 used to be

   ===--C10--0
When the switch is closed the 39pF capacitor is bypassed (short circuited)
and you have the standard speed again. If the switch is open both capacitors
are connected in series and you have a capacity of 1/ ( (1/39) + (1/47) ) =
21.31pf (which is approximately 22pf)

Now, the electrical stuff is done. The only thing left is to mount the
switch: Take off the back of the TI and remove all batteries. I used a
Dremal tool and cut a small rectangle out of the case just above battery
compartment #4. This leaves enough clearance for the switch when the cover
is replaced later.
Place the switch in the hole, and make sure there is plenty of room for the
switch to slide. I used a hot glue gun to secure the switch, but just about
any type of glue should work.
The last thing I did was to put black tape on the silver shield where the
switch would touch when the case is put back together. I also cut a small
square notch out of the side of the shield for the two wires to bend up from
the board to the switch.

Using a variable capacitor:
The best possibility to adjust the speed of the TI-89 is to use a variable
capacitor with a range of about 18 (not lower!) to 50pf. With a variable
capacitor you would be able to adjust the speed continuously.
To do this you need two about one inch long wires, the variable capacitor
and an electric drill. First solder one end of each wire to one pad where
C10 used to be (after removing C10, you won't need C10 anymore) it really
doesn't matter which terminals you use.
Now solder the variable capacitor to the other end of the wires. If the
variable capacitor has three connections, connection one and two are
connected together. Solder one wire to connection one or two and the other
to connection three. If your capacitor has just two connections it doesn't
matter which terminals you use.
Make sure that all your wires are as short as possible otherwise your
calculator won't be as fast as it could be. I found it easiest to run the
wires around U5 and then tape them down using lack electrical tape. Just use
small pieces of tape. Try not to cover any components on the board.
Especially not the connections of the backup battery!
Take off the back of the TI and remove all batteries, make a hole next to
the backup battery like on the picture below, just large enough to hold the
variable capacitor.

Place the variable capacitor in the hole and make sure that you are still
able to close the battery cover, maybe you have to shave it a bit or make a
hole in the cover too. I used a hot glue gun to secure the variable
capacitor, but just about any type of glue should work. Put the glue only to
the bottom of the variable capacitor on the inner side of the case. Make
sure that you don't put any glue at the top of the variable capacitor so
that you're still able to adjust it.
The last thing I did was to put black tape on the silver shield where the
variable capacitor would touch when the case is put back together (don't
cover any parts of the board especially not the parts where the connectors
of the backup battery touch it). I also cut a small square notch out of the
side of the shield for the two wires to bend up from the board to the
variable capacitor.
The variable capacitor can be adjusted with a small screwdriver. (the
capacitance is adjusted continuously by moving the plates of the capacitor)
You have to try out which position is the fast and which is slow. In general
you can adjust the speed from 80% to 200% of the original speed.

Important:
Note: When your calculator turns on with a few rows of black lines after you
have accelerated it, you have to completely reset the calculator. Click here
to see how

If you have any questions please first have a look at the SpeedUp FAQs and
Trouble shooting if your question(s) are not answered there, feel free to
send me an e-mail

Boris Lutz
blutz@ee.ethz.ch
http://www.stud.ee.ethz.ch/~blutz/

You can share this plan with other TI users as long as you don't change it
and include my e-mail address and home page URL.