Re: TI-H: macro units for ti calcs... (ON TOPIC!!!)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Giles Pollock wrote:

> would it be possible to design a unit, maybe using PICs or other
> memory/controller devices that could, when plugged into a calculator link port
> would perform certain tasks, like resetting the memory or initiating the self
> test... I have seen a memory clear using two calculators and a link cable, and
> i was wondering if this would be possible with a small unit that could be
> connected into the calculator, and a button pressed to reset the calc (or
> whatever it was made to do.) It would be a good idea for teachers to have
> these because ive seen too many people sneaking answers to exams in, when i
> have reset my calc :(
>
> If anyone knows how this would be possible or has an idea on how to make
> one...

I'd imagine that this would be possible with the TI-89 or TI-92. In
Virtual-TI with the '89, it executes romdump() by actually typing it out
on the home screen over the link cable. I'm actually working on a
multimeter project for my '89 now, based on a PIC16F873, that will dump
measured values to the home screen using this method.

If you have students using the 82/83/85/86, I don't believe it's possible
to do anything except grab a screen shot over the link cable, at the home
screen. Fortunately, it's easy to clear memories on these calcs.

But, you're still gonna get people who will bring in HP38/48 calculators,
those useless casio '3 color' ones, etc. Knowing how to clear memory on
each and every one of these, is a pain in the ass, and I seriously doubt
you'll be able to make a universal 'macro box' that will handle all these
calculators. Thus, teachers usually just ban the calculators altogether.

Or in the case of one teacher I had, he said 'go right ahead' and also
allowed a crib sheet full of equations - but gave test problems that
required knowing what you were doing and a bit of intuitive sense, so
people who just copied down formulas would end up bombing the test.

So if people bringing in answers bothers you, just complain to your
teacher and get them to do one of the above. This should level out the
field a little.

- GM