Re: TI-H: Place (ahhh here is what he meant)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Place (ahhh here is what he meant)

hmm

ok let me try to redeem him once more ?!
he knows what he is talking about sorta i think <grin>

--snip--
Ryan,

Perhaps I did not make myself clean in my post about IDE.  I did not mean
to propose that IDE talked "FAT" for this is not true at all.  I was simply
trying to get across the idea that IDE was developed around the IBM (or
Industry) standards for file storage.  I/E a fat based system.  Thus it is
quite a bit easier to talk "FAT" (if you will) to an IDE device vs. a SCSI
one.  SCSI was developed as a "universal" way to store data.  (well... sort
of universal anyways)  Therefore its design never leaned towards one type
of file storage or another.

On the ATAPI note... ATAPI was developed as a protocol layer between
hardware and software.  The creators needed a way to interface a CD ROM
that was generally SCSI (or some weird proprietary bus) to the now standard
IDE bus.  Thus was born ATAPI, a somewhat diced-up SCSI command set.  This
was an easy and cost effective way for IDE to have CD ROM support.

Finally, I have been working with SCSI for years...  Unfortunately, I
haven't worked with IDE in a couple of years (circa, 1990?)  and all of
this has slowly been coming back to me.  It has been my overall experience
that SCSI talks better in a USER DEFINED FORMAT, and this was all I was
trying to get a
t.

--end-snip--