Re:TI-H: (OT about Grant's 486/68000)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:TI-H: (OT about Grant's 486/68000)

>Firewire - Almost completely useless

If you ever used Firewire you would see not, I have access to a
400Mhz G3, a DV deck, a VCR and a monitor station. (So I can convert
between DV and et cetera) This is the sweetest thing you have ever
seen, very fast, none of that stupid having to press the record
button on VCR to get lower quality video, Firewire just is the best.

>USB - Got that

Yup, and we have a Universal Serial Bus Driver that is universal.

>ADB - Who cares how the keyboard and mouse are controlled

If you knew its advantages, you would care. It also allows the
Monitor to be calibrated, let's you turn on you computer from a
keyboard button (Something PCs are FINALLY trying to emulate) and
uses VERY cheap cables (S-Video)

>SCSI (some models) - I can easlily get a scsi card built in, or one in a
>pci slot I can upgrade if I wanted to move from Ultra to Ultra2, or Ultra3
>later on

And that adds how much?

>Ethernet 10/100 - Generic ones can be had for less than $30, name braod
>for less than $100

Again, that adds price to it and you lose a slot.

>a 3d accelaration that is faster than the Voodoo2 - There are plenty of
>those available for the pc now.  The Voodoo3 2000 is $80 or so and can run
>circles around the voodoo2, a tnt2 ultra can easily outrun a voodoo2 SLI.

Adds price to it.

>a Speech Synthesis that works, Speech Recognition that works - Thats an
>issue of software, and a feature most people wouldn't use if they had it
>anyways

Trust me, every mac user loves Speech Synthesis, Recognition leaves
some to be desired, but to get both on the PC and both in Almost
every or every application adds how much to the price of a PC?

>, system-level scripting and of course security - Use linux, freebsd,
>netbsd, openbsd, solaris x86, BeOS, OS/2, SCO or any other non-ms OS and
>you have that covered.

But you buy a PC with Windows

>None of the Melissa, WormExplorer stuff for me - Me either, linux is
>great!

Linux has other ones.

>The MacOS has matured, that's why there are two releases every year, for
> maturity. - Again, I will agree that windows is a piece of shit, but
>it does its job.

Windows couldn't do a space monkies job.

>I could sell you a 1950 Datsun or a BMW 540i, which has
> more? (The proportional price is not valid, I am giving an extreme
> example.) - What, the fact I can get a dual celeron or Dual PIII for less
>than a G3 is not valid?  It may not help in games, but there are plenty of
>things that will speed up with dual procs.  You can expect to see about
>80% of the perforance of the second proc, and it will work in quake 3, for
>you gamers. :)

Well, Mac users had Quake 3 first. And you don't buy a computer to
play games, it is just an added bonus that I can play thousands of
more games than a PC user by purchasing a $49 program, and every game
a PC user can if I buy a $32-139 program (depends if you want Windows
98 or not) and the MacOS (8.6) actually supports Multiprocessors both
with and without VM on.

>Now you give me examples. - The x86 arch is old, and should die, but its
>doing fine for the time bin until a 64 bit standard is out.  These days,
>the core does run RISC, all 6th gen x86 procs do.  They convert the CISC
>to RISC and then run the instruction.

SLOW! and the Macs have two 32-bit buses, it doesn't add up but point? None.

>  One of the main successes of the
>x86 arch is how scalable it is.  If Apple ever allowed other companies to
>make macs again, I believe it would help them.  A nice thing about PC's is
>you can buy a soundcard and transfer it to your next machine and not have
>to pay for something you already have.  Another thing is the ability to
>upgrade parts without having to get a new machine, like video, sound,
>scsi, etc.  If the mac platform was more expanable, and cheaper, it would
>have been a lot more successful.

I don't have to pay for something I already have, not sure how much
the sound circuits on a Mac cost, but my mac was made in 1995, the
original circuits can do 3d-spatial sound. I love Apple Game
Sprockets. No, if Apple advertised alot more it would be more
successful. "But we are better" "That doesn't matter."

Aol's slogan: So easy to use, no wonder it's #1

We all know it is not #1 for that reason, it's #1 because they tell
you it's #1 for that reason.

---
I pledge allegiance to the Mac of Apple Computer Incorporated, and to
the developers for which it stands, one platform, under Jobs,
indestructible, with creativity and multimedia for all.