Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: OT: The Ad I saw

----Original Message Follows----
 >A) I have never, ever heard of a Sun laptop, and

I suppose you are the kind of people who only look at MHz numbers.  :)

Hear things more often, they're often good.

https://statler.hmstore.com/tadpole/

Ok, they were like 130 MIPS and are apparently out of production.

 >B) There is NO way I'm going to throw away over $2000 for a machine with a
 >300MHz processor.  Uh-uh, no way.

You get what you pay for.  :)

Grant.
I don't need an enormous screen.  I know PowerBooks are famous for their
big, gorgeous screens.  Yes.  I've seen them before.  They're terrific!
Don't need it.
I don't want to use a computer that's incompatible with what all my friends
are using.
I don't want a computer that has the Mac OS on it, and I'm certainly not
going to put Linux on the only machine I have in Dublin.
I DO want a computer that supports all the software I already have (withOUT
slow-ass emulation, thank you)
I DO want a computer that is at least marginally better than the desktop I
have now (a PII/400 w/ an 8MB i740 gfx card) and
I DO want a computer I can play the games I have on.

Listen, I really have nothing personal against the Mac.  If Jobs would wisen
up and license the hardware tech out to clone companies, the Mac platform
would get a shot of adrenaline in the ass and quite possibly knock Wintel
for a loop.  Hardware development would be stimulated and they might just
become good enough to effortlessly emulate Win98 and scream through their
own applications, AT A PRICE I CAN AFFORD.  You know what?  Great!  Let's
see 'em do it!  But it hasn't happened, and it's not likely to happen, so I
ain't going to buy a Mac.

 >And that ability to clock down the proc has only recently come to laptops,
 >so that's not true.  And it CERTAINLY doesn't happen on the fly!

Its been there in the -good- processors for a while.  It does happen on the
fly.  The onboard temp sensor has trip points for when it shuts off totally
and when to clock down.

Define -good- processors.