Re: TI-H: Linux ftp

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Linux ftp

On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 06:33:06PM -0600, David Knaack wrote:

> From: Jon Olson <morph@jmss.com>
>
> >Recompiling isn't easy, i'm gonna give you the same advice i've
> >given others. Come on IRC (irc.slashdot.org #cyclone) and ask me how to do
> >it. It's one of those fairly interactive things :>. Of course, if you've
> >only got one box I guess that would be a bit difficult,
>
> NP, I have several, but I'm cheap, so I only have one monitor :)
>
> >but it's not something for beginners to attempt.
>
> Linux beginners or computer beginners?  I'm a professional
> programmer, so recompiling stuff shouldn't be too difficult.
Linux beginners. If you're a professional programmer though, it should
help. Mostly you need to know a lot about the hardware inside your
computer. Especially if you want to use Linux to it's full potential.

> >Although I'm not a big fan of it, there's is something for X called KDE
> >that looks similar to Windows, and gives you a fairly powerful shell.
> >however, to do the most complex tasks you still need a command line (I'm
> >sorry, but i think that's true of every operating system).
>

> I don't mind command shells that much, I just dislike badly documented
> stuff, and until I figure out how to drive the help system thats how things
> look.  In reality linux is far better documented than old DOS or Win98.
>
> >If you wanna see what my X box looks like i've got a screenshot up at
>

> What window manager is that?

That is Window Maker. It's a nice basically designed to look like NeXT. I
use it because it has enough customization for me, and it's fast. If ya
wany customizability, but don't care about speed, there's always
Enlightenment (which looks phenominal, but is SLOOOW).