Re: TI-H: Linux ftp

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Linux ftp

Ok, you're saying you want to put the Linux box, plus one other onto yer
single ethernet connection in the dorm, right? This is fairly easy to do,
but it will require 2 ethernet cards (no hub). Basically it involves
recompiling the kernel and adding something called IP Masquerading. If you
want a more detailed explanation I can give you one. You mentioned RPMs so
I'm assuming you're using RedHat...not my choice, but a lot of people seem
to like it. I believe there is a tool that will allow you to customize the
FTP server, but it should come ready to use *ftps to a box a friend of
his set up to check*. Yup, it looks like it's pre-configured. Anything you
want available for anonymouys FTP access, just put a copy (or hardlink) to
it /home/ftp/pub. As for adding user accounts, this is fairly easy too

something along the lines of:

adduser -G users -c 'Real Name' -p 'password' username

will add a user with standard privledges, who is a member of both their own
group, and the 'users' group (something about RedHat, it likes you to give
each user their own group. This isn't really what groups were intended for,
but it works).

If you want more information, just reply. Possibly mail me personally, as
this will go very very off-topic very very quickly if we're not careful.
Also, I'm usually much more helpful on IRC because i can actually talk back
and forth. You can probably find me in #cyclone or #slashdot (or most
likely, both) on irc.slashdot.org ...

-- Jon Olson