Re: TI-H: Off Topic, Windows 95 trivia

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Off Topic, Windows 95 trivia

On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 09:45:28AM -0800, David Knaack wrote:

> >Its also graphical from the ground up.  You can't break out a command
> line.
> >That makes un*x people laugh at it as any type of server.
>
> I don't see why, a command line has no inherent superiorities
> over an intellegently designed GUI.  The usual problem is that
> the interfaces are not well designed, Windows NT has always
> had some options in screwy places.
Well, i can write a quick little bash script on my command line to do damn
near anything i'd ever want to do to a directory or a set of directories. A
GUI is too generalized for doing specific things (i.e. making all the
filenames entirely lower case because some program requires it). A GUI is
nice for simple every day tasks, and even for some more complex tasks, but
it's still not good enough to be a full substitute for a shell. Sure, i run
X windows all the time, but almost every program i run is running in a nice
textured Eterm...

-- Jon Olson