Re: TI-H: Linux link software.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Linux link software.

From: Archon (David) <hul@netdoor.com>
>I've seen several people (in high school) who are totally fscked up on
>weed.

Yes, use of excessive amounts can be bad.  That goes for just about
an activity.  There are lots of people who drink far too much too, but
making alcohol illegal did not work (for a multitude of reasons).

>I support anti-drug measures. I do feel like some things (like DARE) are
>stupid, but there should be much more effective airborne border controls,
>being as that is the main pipeline of foreign drugs in the U.S.

Shutting down the borders would not be effective, as the plant can be
grown damn near anywhere.  Enforcement would probable get even
harder I think.  As the imported supply decreased the price would
skyrocket, sending tens of thousands of people inside the US into
low volume production (and of course lots of them into high volume
production).  Supply chains would be much smaller and shorter, making
it much more difficult to catch anyone that would make a difference.

Not that this would be bad I suppose, I mean, we all support American
made products right? :)

>If weed _is_ legalized, think of the problems. Drunk driving bad? Think
>what'll happen if people start driving stoned?

Probably not as bad a problem as drunk driving, but yes it would be a
hazard.  I support prison terms (or as a voluntary alternative, public
lashings) for first time intoxicated driving offenders. The problem in
the US isn't that we don't have laws about driving while impared, but
that we don't punish those who do.  Without credible inforcement
laws carry no meaning.

>One of the major reasons a lot of kids smoke weed is that it's illegal.

That seems to be something adults like to think, but having been a
kid myself not too long ago, and speaking from my own experiance,
I think that in most cases that is not true.  Usually kids do what they
think will be fun, or that their friends tell them is fun and disregard the
law.  If they like it they'll probably do it again, if not, they probably
won't do it again, simply to spite the system (and or their parents).

There is a rebellion issue there, but I never saw anybody habitually
do something they didn't like to do just to rebel.

>If it becomes legal, people will just start doing illegal stuff, like
crack,
>lsd, stuff that will _really_ screw you up.

If cannibis does become legal (ala tobacco, with no education
required to smoke) I would expect some increase in usage of
other drugs (although putting LSD in the same class with crack
is clearly a mistake.  LSD is another drug that is not physicaly
addictive).  Pot smoking is frequently called a gateway drug,
tame, but enough to whet the appitite for more intense experiances.

>Plus, if it's illegal, if you think school bathrooms
>stink now, imagine if they smelled like weed...

Thats an issue your school needs to deal with, at my school your
first tobacco offense was an automatic suspention, repeat offenders
were expelled.  Same went for all other illegal drugs.  True 'Zero
Tolerance', a policy I happen to agree with in law enforcement (that
is, I agree with a two strikes policy with extreme concequences, not
the unconditional and unilateral prohibition of substances).

DK