Re: TI-H: empeg player

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: empeg player

From: Dan <danti@applecyber.dyndns.com>
>HDD's do not need much shock protection, if any at
>all... it is a perfect media if approached properly.

I guess that depends on what and how you drive, grandma in the Lexis, no,
me in my Neon with extra hard suspension, yes ;)  Seriously tho, I dunno
what
kind of operating shock these new drives can handle, but if you were to set
the player up with about 32 mb or so of ram it could cache all the data it
needed
for several songs and leave the HDD parked most of the time.  You could
probably
get a way without much in the way of shock protection then for sure,
particularly
if you had a high transfer rate off the HD.

>A removable face that
>brings the hdd out too would be perfect. Simply detatch the HDD, put it in
>a Docking station that hooks up to the SCSI port, or parallel port, or
>whatever of the computer and swap music. Of course you wouldn't do this
>often after you get your collection of music on the HDD. Maybe remove a few
>songs or add a few songs, but nothing major. It is perfect I tell you.

Thats what I was thinking, but then I though, why bother with a removable
drive?  Just pull the whole deck, give it a simple docking station (power
supply,
drive interface and audio cable passthroughs) by yer stereo at home, then
you
can have yer tunes anywhere you go, and no one can steal the thing out of
your
car.  Give the docking station an IDE/parallel/SCSI/whatever interface and
you
can move songs and update play lists all you want from your computer.

Thats similar to the empeg, you can pull the whole thing, and plug it in
inside,
it uses a serial or USB port for data updates.

DK