RE: TI-H: Serial port

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TI-H: Serial port

>From: "Matthew H. Fogle" <foglem@cec2.aps.edu>
>You can also get a amp which will give you alot more distance. But your
=
>best bet is a long BNC network cable and two cheapie BNC ethernet cards
=
>($20 each). BNC has a very high range (I don't know if it even has a
max =
>distance).

Thinnet, 10base2, the 2 means 200 meters.  If you have good cards an
wire,
and not a noisy environment you can get it to run farther than
that pretty easily tho.

ThickNet, 10base5, you guess the distance.

Cat5, 10baseT, breaks the convention, standard is 100 meters.

You can run most serial cables MUCH farther than 50 feet, as
someone said.  A hospital where I did some work had serial
devices located over 1000 feet from the computer.  In this
case I believe the ground wire was disconnected to prevent
problems with different ground potentials between the two
buildings. That setup worked just fine for many years.

Anyway, I'd agree with the above, thinnet will be much
faster and more versitile (and might be cheaper than a
serial cable that long anyway).

DK