Re: TI-H: linux...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: linux...

This is to both You and David Knaack... no reason to send off two messages.
One, it IS an IRC server.  Just because the client is heavily modified doesn't
keep it from being and IRC server.
Umodes are limited, as are cmodes and so on.  The extra text is very much
optional, like the mIRC color codes.  ppl on ircII would see it as control
characters in the mIRC example, and HTML in the AOL example.
I could set up an IRC server, only allow connections from specific
subnets/clients, and make each and every one of you think that it was a non-IRC
chat system, but it would be.  The protocols are 100% exactly the same.  All AOL
did was heavily mask them over so that no one from the outside would really
notice.  Of course, if I bothered with AOL, I might even get a chance to prove
this from their server.  Just because there are some added features (like spaces
in room/channel names), and some taken away (like anything useful beyond just
chat), doesn't make it non-IRC.  However, outside access to their chat system
would make AOL even more useless than it already is.  That's why they limit
access.
I'm also pretty sure that you need to connect to the AOL server only if you're on
a dialup.  Otherwise, you can't, seeing as you're already on a network.  You can
just irc from a normal server at that point.