Re: TI-H: linux...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: linux...

In a message dated 9/17/98 4:37:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
pilotcar@iserv.net writes:

>  >> Hmmm...10MB versus 2MB.  Plus you don't have the proxy which slows you
>  >> down on an ISP.  You also get a real POP3 account, which you can check
>  >> with almost any TCP/IP account as opposed to AOL's e-mail which you can
>  >> only check by connecting to their service with their software.
>  >
>  >Do you have that backwards?  Last I checked, the minimum amount of
>  >space on AOL was 10 (and you can get up to 50 free by letting AOL
>  >add banners and stuff to your page) and Geocities was 2.  AOL is like
>  >three times faster than Geocities and you don't have to load the ads
>  >and that stupid floating logo.  AND, you can download/upload/edit/
>  >allow users to upload to your site with FTP, which I don't believe you
>  >can do with Geocities.

Geocities is a piece of $#@! They are annoying as hell. They'll modify your
page to suit their needs without telling you.

>  No I do not have it backwards.  Besides, I wasn't tlaking about
>  GeoCities, I'm talking about a REAL ISP.  Most ISPs will give you more
>  webspace providing they have some free on their server and that you don't
>  use it for commercial use.  They'll do this without the banners...
>  Speaking of speed, any normal ISP is 3x faster than AOL.
>
>  >And you can check AOL mail from the net now.  I just have no clue
>  >how (I just install the AOL software on all computers I read my mail on).
>
>  Only on a special version on MSIE, and I think that there may be
>  additional software involved.  Besides, I said anywhere...not just by
>  using MSIE.
>
>  --Brian
Yes you need to install the AOLNetmail software that allows you to check your
mail. AOL is great if you like lots of gimmicks and don't need to do anything
real advanced, but you won't get lightning fast connections, lots of webspace,
and good user support.

~Chris~