Re: TI-H: A Virtual Hub: Interlink

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: A Virtual Hub: Interlink

>there are a few better ways to do this.  First off, the crash control is a nice idea, >but very Ethernet-like.  Ehternet is fine, but these link portss hit around 5->6K/sec, not 10/100 Mbps.  Token Ring based systems work better under low->performance/low-bandwidth situations, because only one calc can send at a >time.  Look at the MBus routines available for a good software only TI-calc >networking protocol.  There's already a chat client out, but unless we get "TI->jacks" at every desk in every school, it won't really make much sense.  But I like >it.  Very IRC-like, and can be used by over 200 people at once.
>For a simple connection system, you want to make the three parts of each link >port on every calculator the same point, electrically speaking.
>
>For this, use a "T" or "L" based system.  Your physical layout isn't all that bad, >but you may want to put in some sort of terminating circuitry (a resistor).  The >pass-through approach is great.  But don't count on the "standard" link cable.  >TI changed it.  I just saw a TI-86 being sold at Price/Costco with a new link >cable design.  No more 90-degree offset, it's a straight cable now.
>
>CK

You might want to know that I have just recently joined ticalc.org, and have no clue what you are talking about.  I guess I should have made it clear in my letter, that I have no electrical knowledge whatsoever, and I was only posting my idea so (hopefully) someone would see it, and make it.  I have talked about it with David Philips in school, and have gotten a few of the previously posted ideas from him.  He is a big help since he knows more about hardware than I do.

I don't think I have gotten a clear answer from all of the responses, though.  Is my idea possible via software?  David and I are disputing it, but I truly think that it's possible.  Granted, I know nothing about how TI makes their link work, but my dad says that it isn't possible to create this kind of network via software, and he loves the hardware design.

About the master Interlink, this would be determined by the calc connected to the 'virtual hub' first.  An example of setting an Interlink cabled network:

1) connect all of the Interlinks to each other
2) connect the master calc (calc with ID #1) to one cable attached to the 'virtual hub'
3) connect all other calcs in the network, one by one, each is given an ID according to the order in which it was attached to the network

OR

1) connect one Interlink cable to the master calc
2) connect another Interlink cable to the end of the Interlink cable attached to the master calc
3) connect another calc to the end of the Interlink cable
4) repeat steps #2&3 for every calc remaining.

I hope this clarifies any information I have retained in the previous message.

-Miles Raymond