TI-H: Rules or (suggestions)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Rules or (suggestions)

The following text was posted to the TI-83 Assembly list, I think it may have
some relevance to what happens on the Hardware list

first off, i'm new to assembly programming (much less on calculators), and i
don't like my mailbox being flooded with maillist messages, so i
have been recieving the messages in digest mode. It's really great, and you
all should try it sometime, provided that the users of the list
follow some basic "niceness" to everyone else...  well they haven't so i've
made some guidelines i hope you all follow:
- when replying, only quote the first 5-15 lines of the original message, or
selectivley quote it.
  (quoting a 450 line message just sucks. [eg. in one digest message i have
seen a quoted message in which there are at least 50 lines like
this: ">>>>>>> inc hl ; We'll waste space here to gain some speed". this is
very annoying to me because i've already read that message, the
message that quotes it, the message that quotes the message that quotes it,
the message that quotes the message that quotes the message that
quotes it, ad. inf.] )
- this has been said before, but don't put more then a 4-5 line piece of ascii
art in your message unless it has some relevance to your
subject.
- don't send stupid messages (like "you suck"), and don't reply to stupid
messages. let the maillist admin deal with retarded underserving
pond scum.
- the "Subject:" field is there for a reason in an email;  use it!
  (a lot of messages that change topic in mid-thread have the same subject...
very annoying to both normal and digest recieving subscribers)
- source code in the message is nice, and i like to see it, but like... well,
if possible; include an ftp or http link where you can
view/download it online. even if it is besides the source in the email, a
internet link where the source can be downloaded helps a lot if you
don't want to copy + paste to a new file and then edit out any extreneous line
feed characters, etc.
- the easiest way to reply to a message is to reply, tell your email program
to quote the original text, and then delete everything to be
forwarded that doesn't have direct relevence to your message.  use an elipsis
"..." on a line to indicate where you cut out text in the
middle, a pound sign "#" for text you cut out at the beginning of the quoted
text, and a tilde "~" for text you cut out at the end (i use this
a lot with those listbot and juno adv.s because adv.s look ugly when you quote
them, like you don't know how to use an email client properly).