Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: [OT] Un-TI-Hardware@somegenerousperson.net

>On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Grant Stockly wrote:
>
>> A/UX.  Its a unix that ran on old macs and IBM workstations.
>
>Yep, one of those old ugly proprietary atrocities...
>
>> >Tell me, just what Linux are you running on your SE/30?  If you're still
>> >using NetBSD/mac68k, you should check out the latest Linux/mac68k.  For
>> >the SE/30 is one of it's most stable platforms these days.
>>
>> yes, but stable things aren't fun.  :)
>
>My words were "most stable" :)  Relativity... Running 2.1 kernels on a
>68020 MacII is fun (just ask Alan Cox).

Who ever intended for a phonebook puter to run linux?  :)  It took a kernal
hack just to get the 9" screen to work.  :)

I also love the analogue board the SE's have.  Mine has a broken solder
joint.  Sometimes it gets hot so I have to whack it real hard on the side
for it to turn on again.  :)

>> >You want to talk real m68k-based workstations? Sun3's are some of the
>> >best.
>>
>> So is the mk68 running gussie.alaska.net.  100% pure 68040.
>
>Terribly new...  I'm talking 68020's!  68851 MMUs!  Incredibly slow 68881
>FPUs!  Yea!  (well, ok, so the Sun3s don't often use 68851s, but custom
>MMUs are interesting too)

New!  We got the thing 5 years ago!  :)  The mail server for
gussie.alaska.net is NetBSD.  Mac II.  it has da 68881.  68020 and a hefty
8MB in 1MB 30pin SIMMS.  :)

The mud server is a 486 DX 33 which is just as fast as the 68020.  :)

I don't have an advanced MMU in the mac II.  I can't have 1.4MB disks!  :)
Who ever uses disks though?

Grant

-The FIRST public domain portable hardware mp3 player-
http://gussie.alaska.net

Follow-Ups: References: