Re: TI-H: Morse-eye

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Morse-eye

>You obviously aren't entirely familiar with the concepts of
>miniaturization.  There are video glasses out there that basically look
>like a normal pair of prescription glasses, and the displaypiece is damn
>near undetectable.  Wearable computers can fit into my pants pockets (if
>I'm wearing slacks or widelegs).  A quick and dirty "blink sensor" can
>be rigged based on light detection.  However, I hate the idea.  Instead,
>complete a circuit by tapping two of your fingers.  you need very small
>pieces of conductive material, and you can just tap your fingers.  That
>is a lot less noticable, and can become far more flexible.  My best
>advice would be to make up a serial driver for a Twiddler using an AVR,
>and have that as the input device.  Larger, but a lot more usable than
>an epileptic control device.

I'm quite familar with that.  :)  I'm on the MIT wear-hard ML and am
working with testrante (media lab) to impliment IDE on a Strong ARM.

I did the alphabet for a mockup twiddler, but got bored of it when it came
down to control and alt...

>Having designed, redesigned, and redesigned again, a portable computer,
>I've finally moved to wearable design, using VGA output so I can
>eventually get some good displayglasses and work on undetectable wearble
>computer applications.  If I get it small enough, it becomes a bit of an
>aid for cheating, however.  The power for the glasses can actually be
>set up so small nowadays that a high speed wireless interface may
>eventually be used.  I'd really need a good incentive to avoid cheating
>on the occasional test/playing quake in class.

My wearable is a 386 DX 33.  :)  It has one PCMCIA onboard, and all the
trimmings.  Its about the size of a $20 ethernet card.

Hopefully after the MIT IDE StrongARM thing, they will send me a prototype.
:)  Their estimate is that you could make it the seze of a Discman.  HD and
all.

Think about that...you could add a flat 256x128 LCD and make it half an
inch higher...  That would be cool.

I havn't found the time to buy a $600 pair of sun glasses, so for now I use
it for a recording and notetaking device.

>Just a few comments, and I doubt all of us are really stereotypical
>nerds here.  In terms of what I do, I'm most likely, at worst, on the
>fringe.

Usually the 'nerds' are just thinking they know all, and aren't afraid to
say that.  :)  It goes without saying that those type of people think AOL
is high tech 'hard stuff' and PCI is a term that they don't know.  ;)

Grant

Follow-Ups: References: