Re: TI-H: heh

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: heh

-----Original Message-----
From: Firepower5@aol.com <Firepower5@aol.com>
To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org <ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org>
Date: Sunday, November 29, 1998 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: TI-H: heh

>In a message dated 11/29/98 5:11:55 AM Central Standard Time,
>gussie@alaska.net writes:
>
>> I think you'd be suprized to see a Sun.  You and everyone you know
prefers
>>  CISC because its cheep ($90 for a 300MHz processor, $1,300 for
computer).
>>  But people in the RISC market get what they pay for.  ($700 for 300MHz
>>  processor, $6,000 for computer).
>>  And if you realy want a good Sun, you would have to get a Sparq.  I
think
>>  they start at $25,000 or so.  But again, it will eat pents and PPCs for
>>  lunch.
>The directly above statement (it will eat pents...) is true.  However, I
>personally would prefer to have 20 decent P II class machines to a single
>Sparq.  For this reason, I don't think that the statement about getting
what
>you pay for, is true.  Perhaps for the scientist running some pretty
intense
>applications, maybe some stuff dealing with number permutations or
something,
>it is, but for the other 4,999,999,999 people in the world, I don't think
so.

>Rob Hornick

for the same price, you can get about 16 PII 450 dual CPU machines (possibly
quite a few more, i'm guesstimating on the price of the rest of this box,
which will really probably be quite a bit less than $500), and then beowulf
those under Linux for some serrious computing power. There's no reason to go
with Sparq anymore unless you want something small. Or...if you don't like
Intel, and would rather go with AMD you can get about 19 quad processor
boxes (400 Mhz AMD K6-2 w/100 mhz bus). I'm assuming they make quad CPU
super socket 7 boards, haven't checked myself.

-- Jon