Re: Fw: TI-H: Russian roulette

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fw: TI-H: Russian roulette

>From: KrazyJolt@aol.com
>when I went to
>grip it again I gripped a little itty bit too low!

I have a tendancy to unplug the iron when I am done, and then
try and pick up the stand (which of course is hotter than shit),
promptly burning my fingers.  I'll learn one of these days.

>PS are the $100  irons better/more useful than the $6 ones from radio
shack?

I wouldn't go so far as to guy a $100 version, but if you use
it alot, $30 is pretty reasonable.  A good iron with a good
tip does make a big difference.

I run mine through a 20A variac, so I don't need a heat control,
but if you don't happen to have that kind of overkill available
you might consider a heat control (or one of those plugin boxes
that RS sells to do the same thing.  Its just a triac, diac, cap,
resistor and pot, same control circuit as those torch lamps.
When it stops working (the torch lamps always do) just replace
the diac with one of the same voltage rating and it will work
again just fine).

DK