Re: Toll Booth and junk (was Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/In...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toll Booth and junk (was Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/In...)

In a message dated 11/3/98 5:40:54 PM Central Standard Time,
dknaack@hotmail.com writes:

> >What difficult functions does a toll booth have?
>
>  Could be lots of stuff, automated billing, drive-by sensing
>  of passing vehicles and remote administration to name a few.
>
>  Difficult is pretty much a matter of time and experiance,
>  pretty much any competent programmer can figure out how to
>  do just about anything given enough time.

Right - In Illinois, at least, there is a system called 'I-Pass' that lets you
drive through at 15 MPH with a little box on your car... you buy a certain
amount of tolls each month, say $20.00 in 40 cent tolls (for someone who has a
daily commute) and each time you drive through, it deducts 40 cents from your
account...  So, that includes the automated billing and drive-by sensing.  It
seems this would be more arduous to program than difficult, you could get a
pretty good idea of how to do it in a few minutes but it would take a while to
write.  (I think.)  BTW, I think programming toll booths is pretty cool =)

Rob Hornick