Re: Toll Booth and junk (was Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/In...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toll Booth and junk (was Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/In...)

>>From: "Jon Olson" <morph@jmss.com>
>>no...a bitmap would be quite fast actually, it's what some operating
>systems
>>(QNX for example) use for free block checking.
>
>I'm not sure I know what you mean by using a bitmap.
>I suggested using a table of fixed length entrys that
>describes the data on the remainging portion of the
>drive (which consists of variable length contigious blocks).

Its simple...  if the data on the hd started on LSA 500, then bit 0 of the
bit map would refer to LAS500.  bit1 would refer to LAS501...

>In the system I outlined the player can very simply
>locate a large enough block and drop the data directly
>into it, no chaining involved.  Since the songs will
>(for the most part) be of similar lengths, dropping
>the new songs into holes left by deleted songs should
>keep free space fragments reasonably small.

In the system you outlined the ACPLay would record data at about 500k a
sec.  :)

Grant