Re: Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/Infrared/Laser Communications

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/Infrared/Laser Communications

>Anyone can program Toll Booths?

Any decent programmer with connections.  You'd be supprised
at how low the required skill level for most projects is.
(to the guy who did the toll booth: Thats not directed
at you, its just a general comment on programming projects).

Doesn't matter how good a programmer is, as long as he can get
the project done to specs on time and in budget.
"Done to specs" includes stablity and size issues.

30% of all software projects are late and over budget,
40% of those are scrapped before completion.  These projects
account for several billion dollars a year in the US (IIRC).

>>Hell, I'll bet you
>> won't go to college either right?

This is actually a bad decision, not having a degree will
hurt you in the job market for many years, regardless of
your experiance.  I'm not saying it can't be done (I'm
doing it after all), it just makes things difficult.
To be successful doing this you have to be a combination
of lucky, connected, and very skilled.  Even then your
future isn't very stable.

>> Sure defeats all of the EE's that go
>> to college for 4 - 6 years... I'd just be like "nah fuck it, I can
>> design my own stuff and sell it to major companies..."

Knowing how to interface chips together is just one thing a
collage educated EE knows how to do, there are lots of other
things to know, which you certainly can learn on your own, but
for most people its much easier to take collage courses to
pick it up.

>> It is OK, I don't
>> know how you got assigned to program toll booths, but personally, I
>> wouldn't consider that an accomplishment to myself.

You must be a programmer.

>> Anyone could
>> "program a toll booth"

That would depend heavily on the requirments of the project.
In automated systems resource protection and error handling
are big issues, inclusion of hardware interface can complicate
things too.

>> Now on the other hand, to make something as
>> kick ass as a MP3 portable player, that can store an endless amount
of
>> songs for $75 + HDD, now thats just fucking amazing and I'd be
running
>> around the city naked yelling my ass off.

Both are significant accomplishments, the major difference
from an employment position is that the Toll Booth project
is being considered, or has been accepted for production
use, whereas the MP3 player is simply a personal project.

>> No offense. Programming Toll booths is good for 10th grade.

Depends on the programmer.

DK