Re: TI-H: getting parts

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: getting parts

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Joe Wozniak wrote:

> I needed relays shiped to me in less then a week for a project, tech
> america costs $4 for about a week and $8 for rush! and the prices were
> same a radioshack, All electronics was rediculosly cheep (ten relays for
> $8 instead of $3.50 apeace) but they got me on shiping and handleing. I
Most places do. Particularly the copy places that ship UPS/FedEx for you.
They typically double or 2.5x the actual rate.. but I guess that's how
they survive.

> ended up going to radio shack and paying the same price as I would have
> but I had to get all diferent kinds because Radio shack dosn't sell in
> bulk.  The bottom line is I need to know who to get the lowest
> mail-order price for most parts and who has good rush prices.  I know
> already that All electronics is probly cheapest because they buy
> company's surpus.
Basically TechAmerica/RadioShack will almost never be the best place to
buy stuff. I go to RadioShack when I need something immediately and don't
want to pay for overnight shipping. Like their DB9 connectors.. I usually
buy them for 35 cents apiece, but RS charges something like $1.29. That
would get expensive if I were buying 50 from RS..

I suggest Jameco or Mouser or DigiKey (www.jameco.com, www.mouser.com,
www.digikey.com.. go figure). They all ship same-day, so I don't think
they even know what a rush charge is. All the packages leave the building
at the same time. Of course they'll ship overnight or something (and that
does cost more) but I don't think they have any sort of a rush charge.

A lot of mail-order places have several warehouses around the country.
Look for one that has a warehouse near you, because most likely the stuff
you order will come from that warehouse and will arrive more quickly..

--
Greg Hill
greg-hill@bigfoot.com