Re: TI-H: Temperature Sensors

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Temperature Sensors

I'm not looking for competition here. I'm just giving tips.

The wand style sensor can be dipped in water! Nice for science projects and stuff.

I guess realy, it has to be done right, and sealed properly, but it can be
done. I also do point to point soldering. Seal the chip in glue or epoxy, and
it stays nice and rigid. The capacitor and diode are easy point to point
solder jobs. Only a few connections!

A PCB would be a wise addition to the temp chip itself though.

The best design I can think of would have a hole in the boardfor the chip to
poke through, and then the solder on the back. The chip would be epoxied in
place on either side to seal it, and then, if you seal the board, solder side
inside, then it would be a GREAT, water proof sensor, probably the best you
could make.

Also, just buy the big bottle of etchant solution, from Rat shack or even
another place. I got a 12" x 18" double sided copper plated PCB for under $5

It's great!!! I'm still using it!!!

You can use plain old sharpie permanent black markers, or better yet, paint
fingernail polish remover on (guaranteed solid line) and use remover when done etching.

The pens actualy are dificult for perfectly clean lines.

I can get the tiniest lines by using finger nail polish and applying it with
an x-acto knife! Does anyone know how small N-scale is??? It's 1/160 of actual
size. I've painted N scale cars with x-acto knives. I have a Dodge Super Bee
with dash board roughly painted and even has the hood pins painted on. I
painted a General Lee (Orange Charger from the Dukes of Hazzard TV series).
Can you imaging that 1/160 of actual size. Put simply, the cars are about an
inch long. Imagine what could be done with circuit boards then!

There are better ways, some sort of photo process, but I'm not sure if I have
the cash or equipment to make those. They can get you high quality, waht you'd
find if you opened up some consumer electronics.

Another option is Ink transfer, where you print out the board on the computer
and iron it to the copper clad board.

I've talked enough about this! (:
--

Richard Piotter
richfile@prairie.lakes.com

The Richfiles TI Hardware and BASIC web page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html